Thursday 3 August 2017

Why I'm seriously considering not watching WWE (for a bit)

It's a trying time to be a fan of the biggest sports entertainment company in the world. At least I'm finding it to be. Firstly, the content is CRAP. WWE truly has some of the best talent on the face of the planet, Finn Balor, Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe, Shinsuke FUCKING Nakamura! Don't get me wrong the matches aren't the problem here, if anything they're the only saving grace, because when I'm watching WWE wrestling, I don't have to hear awful, poorly scripted promos (even if I do have to try and block out the commentary teams)! Having just finished uni with degree in Theatre, I can all but guarantee that I could write better promos. Promos (as William Regal will tell you) are so important to the development and presentation of a character. Why else would the Performance Centre dedicate several hours a week into helping the trainees perfect such things? I think it's a down right shame that the WWE is, on one hand helping wrestlers become better performers, whilst simultaneously ruining any future chance they have of connecting to an audience with shoddy and abysmal promo scripts.

Taken from WWE YouTube. William Regal leading a promo seminar at the WWE PC in Florida

Of course the bad promos don't stop everyone from progressing, look how far Baron Corbin's gotten with the whole 'Lone Wolf' thing, but that's not my point here. My point is, the promos are bad, and it's damaging the product. And if promos are damaging the product, then bad booking must be like a meteorite striking the earth and killing all present, in comparison. It was raised by Pete in our last 'FedWatch' Podcast, that WWE and bookers around the world have got to come up with new ways of creating heat, and fair play, I agree. Who wants to see the same shit week in week out right? However there's a time and place for it, and tarnishing the hard work of the entire Women's division by have James Bloody Ellsworth win the inaugural Women's Money in the Bank match is a bit of a piss-take in my mind.

You dun fucked up WWE. You dun fucked up.

This isn't the only problem WWE's booking has at the moment either. It has been raised that the WWE has too many Pay-Per-View events per calendar year to cope with, and to be fair, I wouldn't want to book 14+ shows a year either. And then you add in all the RAWs and Smackdowns, it's just too much! On the flip side to this though, you would have thought that with all the airtime WWE wants me to watch over the course of one year, that I would care more about the wrestlers and characters on screen, and I just don't. I guess this comes back to the creative problem, but the simple fact is I can only really say that I legit care about 4-5 wrestlers on the entire roster (not "rawster", Croft.) There's a problem here that WWE needs to address.

Just a number of the many PPV events WWE is hosting in this calendar year

Perhaps all of my problems that I have with current WWE programming can be personified by one wrestler in particular, in fact it can it. Roman. Reigns. Alas, poor Roman. Perhaps I would be able to actually appreciate you as a wrestler if I didn't find you so damn annoying. Your promos are crap, you're gimmick is so 2013, and you're booked better than Hulk Hogan in mid-2000 WCW. This is probably my biggest peeve with The Fed at the moment. Reigns is being pushed to the moon so quickly that we haven't been allowed enough time to train and prepare in time for take-off and now we're stuck on this hellish ride, feeling only misery, sick, and wanting nothing more for it to end. That metaphor made sense right? Yeah, I'm sure it did it's job.

I think even The Rock knew they'd fucked this up.

It's this whole thing of "You don't like, what you like." It feels like bullying to be honest (Be A Star kids!) Granted, Braun Strowman has come to our aid and taken the sting out of having Reigns forcibly shoved down my throat for the past few years, but regardless of the ending to their match at Great Balls of Fire (seriously, who came up with that name? I'm not sure if they should be fired or given a raise), Roman looks set to receive Universal title shot regardless. Not Balor, who still hasn't had a fair rematch since vacating the title. Not Strowman, who is one of the fastest rising stars at the moment. And who fucking cares? I'm at the point of switching off a PPV when Romans match comes on, regardless of who he's facing, simply because I refused to have him stuffed in my face and STILL presented as a top baby-face. Yes it's a little petty, but so what. WWE have really got to watch their backs, especially when New Japan is gaining as much momentum as it is, in the US.

These lads have been on fire lately. Hopefully we'll get one more!


Summed up, I don't like the current WWE. There's far too much celebrity engagement (What was wrong with sitting them in the front row and putting the camera on them? Why do they all have to get in the ring now?),  the content sucks and if there is actually a good match worth watching then I can catch it when ever I want and don't have to waste my time watching the product live. As for the Roman problem, I will continue to boycott his matches, not that anybody else cares but at least I don't have to suffer. My biggest concern, and basically the point of this entire entry, was to weigh up the pros and cons of cancelling my Network subscription (and now that I've written that I realise I haven't once mentioned this issue, or any pros for that matter). So let me just quickly sum up some pros: the old content and huge array of past PPV's is awesome, the original content is pretty good to be fair, NXT is LITERALLY a mile ahead of Smackdown and RAW, the UK Championship is something I feel very patriotic about and wish to continue supporting. It's that last point that really has me hanging on to my network subscription by a thread.

Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a match this much

So, I guess time will tell if I continue watching the Fed. I mean, I may have to. Otherwise who else is gunna run things on our 'A Few Good Marks' podcasts? Oh, and if people really don't want Roman as their top guy, don't boo him, do nothing. A wrestlers job is to get a reaction from you. Boo all you want, but deafening silence will speak much louder volumes.

Kieran

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Official Wrestling Is:

- Liam Wilson
- Kieran Moran
- Liam Croft
- Mike Candyland
- Pete Wills

Copyright © Official Wrestling | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com